Thread: Discussion Dragonfly Strong
View Single Post
Old Nov 02, 2006, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by Liberator
Joined Apr 2006
243 Posts
Why I picked this plane...

I have entered a few competitions and have flown against Ava's, Pikes, the Sharon 3.7m and the Saphire to name a few. To me (and keep in mind I am a newbie competition pilot, but have flown a great deal and teach new pilots quite a bit. I have solo'd about 7 pilots this year.)the plane needed to be strong, thermal well, fast for getting back on time, able to range far afield and still make it back, and sturdy.

I also wanted to jump to a full house ship. As I have looked around I wanted to get to this point without breaking the bank or getting a divorce. I was planning to take this step in the spring, but Sunday I blew up my Thermic 2.5m from Arthobby and needed to make a move. My wife (bless her heart) was a trooper and went along with the plan.

I looked at Pike's and the Sharon 3.7 because I liked the design. When I found this I was pretty excited. It offers a lot of the advantages of the high end planes (minus of course the composite wing) at a price that was possible for me to pull off. I think I will have a struggle with my current radio set up, but I will make do with what I have. The airfoil offered is (as I understand) a pretty aggressive one and I think if I set this up carefully it will at least allow me to ease into this whole competition thing and push my ranking up a bit.

Plus I think it is a dead sexy aircraft.

Tom
Liberator is offline Find More Posts by Liberator