Old Oct 02, 2006, 06:03 AM
Find More Posts by cesnyderces
Charles, in the sandbox
Currently deployed in Iraq
Joined Aug 2006
12 Posts
Cutting pockets in foam for servos etc

Excellent tips folks!

This one I figured out when building JKA foam models. Works great and you almost don't need to use adhesives to keep the gear in place due to being tight when installing. Use thin ply and trace outline of your servos, reciever etc. You could either cut it out the outline using a scroll saw or x-acto. Cut a square out around the outline, as you don't need the whole piece of plywood, and you can also save it for next time. I prefer to use a dremel tool with a 1/8 bit carbide bit like this one. It's sharp and makes good cuts. Grab a dubro 1/8" wheel collar, this is going to set the depth of your cuts. Your application will determine what depth you are going to set it for. Insert the bit into the collar and tighten down. Careful that you don't strip the hex piece. You'll need something long and flat, like a straightedge. This will help guide your cuts. Be sure to account for the thickness of the straight edge when setting up your depth. Lay your cutout in your designated area (works great for cutting pockets in wings), I'd suggest taping it, be careful what tape you use, you don't want to pull any foam out when you remove the tape. Mark the outline with a pencil, pen, whatever, in case you have to remove the plywood before you finish cutting. Lay your straightedge on top of the plywood. Keep your rpms low at first when you start cutting and make sure the dubro wheel collar stays on the edge. Work the bit back and forth and make your cuts straight using the straightedge. When all is said and done, it'll look like you cnc'd it. If you've got a large area to cut, say for a battery, you could use the flat sanding bit to do it with. Just cut the outline first, and be careful with it as it has more torque, more chance to slip. For deeper cuts try the router base and a drill bit. The drill doesn't cut as well, but it still works. Again, keep the rpms low otherwise you'll get a lot of vibration.

Hopefully I made some sense there, any questions please don't hesitate.

Charles
cesnyderces is offline Find More Posts by cesnyderces