Thread: New Product Mini Bladerunner & Micro Mosquito
View Single Post
Old Sep 19, 2006, 03:02 PM
Find More Posts by petter
Oslo, Norway
Joined Nov 2003
344 Posts
Hi All,

I am out traveling with limited access to internet so I will not be able to address specific things until late in the week, however here are some suggestions on how to optimize your Micro Mosquito that I happened to have on my lap-top computer.

Increase the speed.

The Micro Mosquito is designed with a rather small tail propeller to only move slowly forwards and backwards. This is to make it easy for new pilots to handle it. However, I am sure that most people on this forum would like to increase the speed:

To increase both forwards and backwards speed you may change to the much bigger propeller supplied in a small “upgrade kit” (as far as I know this kit is included when you get the Micro Mosquito). Please note that the tail motor draws more current with this propeller and the flight time might be reduced a little.

To further increase the forward speed you should shift the C.G forward by applying 2 of the rubber pads from the kit, one under each motor.

If you do not need good backwards speed but instead would like the helicopter to go “fast” forward you should try to get hold of a spare tail propeller from a PiccoZ helicopter. This propeller is optimized for running only in one direction and it will give your Micro Mosquito great forward speed.

I have got a few reports about the right hand stick on the Tx (transmitter) not being adjusted to give full forward speed on the tail motor. For most people it is easy to open the Tx (see below) and adjust the trim-pot marked SW3 a little in the CCW direction until you reach full speed when your stick is pressed max forward.

Increasing the radio range.

The Micro Mosquito is designed purely for indoor use and it can be operated in small rooms. If however, you would like to fly the helicopter in more open spaces and find out that you need a little longer range without experiencing radio glitches then it is relatively easy to modify the Tx to give out more transmitting power. It is simply to follow the steps below and remove one component:

Open the Tx case by unscrew the 5 screws at the back (one under the battery) and unscrew the plastic nut at the base of the antenna.

Unscrew 2 or sometimes 3 screws holding the PCB (printed circuit board).

On the reverse side of the PCB you should remove the small capacitor marked C15. This can be done most easily by just crunching it with a pair of nose pliers or you could un-solder it with a small soldering iron. The goal is the remove the capacitor and after that there should be no contact between the original soldering pads for the capacitor, just leave it open as shown in the picture below.

While you are at it you might also want to remove the return spring from your throttle stick.

Mount everything back together and you are finished.

Direction control

To prevent the helicopter from starting to rotate as soon as you fly forward the tail propeller should be tilted like 3 to 5 degrees to the left, viewed from behind (I use a soldering iron to heat up the tail rod before I try to twist it).

Stability.

All the Micro Mosquito samples I have tested from mass production seem to work fine and have good stability. However from earlier versions of Bladerunners I know that there have been rotors with some stability problems. In case someone should experience this with the Micro Mosquito as well I herby have the following advice:

Check that the rotors can tilt absolutely freely in all directions. If you push the ring down a few millimeters and releases it then the rotor / ring should tilt up and down 1 – 2 seconds before it stops. If this is not happening, please check that the rings are circular and that the blades are spaced evenly. Check also that the steel hinge pins are straight and free from glue.
Another way of correcting stability problems is to add some more weight at the tip of the rotor blades. I typically use 20 mm of a 1 mm diameter soldering wire and spin it carefully and tight around the ring just behind 2 of the rotor blades. Fix it with a small drop of glue.

Lubrication.

I have not lubricated any of the samples I have, but I am sure that people will suggest that you do just that. Please then use only small amounts of lubrication that is plastic safe and apply it to different parts of the rotor shaft.

Spare parts.

Sorry, the only spare parts so far are the spare rotors. I will try to convince someone (ITC, Radio Shack, others?) to offer things like motors, gears and batteries but I have no idea if this will happen.

I will probably not be able to get back on the internet until Friday when I return home. So specific tips and hints will have to wait until then.

(Hopefully) happy Mosquito flying !

Petter
petter is offline Find More Posts by petter
Last edited by petter; Sep 24, 2006 at 02:09 AM.