Thread: Discussion 52 inch span B25 free plans
View Single Post
Old Sep 18, 2006, 09:21 AM
Find More Posts by sparks
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,714 Posts
This is going to feel like you walked into a movie a half hour late. Originally I was just going to build this one just for me.
Ron Singer (of the EAM B-17 fame) wanted one too so I cut his while I was doing mine.
Well mine is nearly ready to paint and load up with the flying gear. Ron and the people I fly with has persuaded me to post the model and offer the plastic. Not knowing how well it will fly, I have reluctantly agreed.
My version. . . .
Without the landing gear and radio equipment my model weighs in at 1.5 pound. I'd bet it would fly with a pair of E-flight 450 outrunners but to be safe I'm going with the 480's. The wings are not removable and are covered with one ply of 3/4 oz cloth because I used white beaded foam for the wings. a single sheet of 1/8 light ply connects the wings at the fuselage centerline. the rest of the model has been covered with two ply of .5 oz cloth. I have elected to install functional rudders, ailerons and elevators and flaps just for fun. No retracts, no bomb bay. .
Every time you add a feature the weight goes up . . .Duh.
If I made the model with no glass cloth, landing gear, rudders, or flaps I'd bet it would weigh half at this point.

Ron has elected to sheet his wing, this allows him to skip weight of a spar. This decision was made because he intends to make his wing removable for transport. The down side is he looses space in the fuselage. Ill post his progress as well.
Right now we are facing tail heavy models but time will tell how heavy.
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks