View Single Post
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:50 AM
Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,324 Posts
Shaft bearing mod

After much fighting to remove the original shaft - it took me nearly 15 minutes of careful(??!!) force and then some hammering and stuff too (Mine had been glued in real well or stamped in so it was a really snug fit?) - I managed to pull it all apart.

I had horrid vibrations at a certain throttle setting - right on the sweet spot for maintaining height, it would shake like mad which ended up wearing the copper collars in the rotor mount of the chassis. When I move the shaft around I can see the play that was there now.

I managed to bend the shaft forcing the rotor off so that is now useless. My first intention was to just do the CF mod. When I got it all apart and took some measurements it occured to me that with a bit of work, I could squeeze in a set of 3mmODx1mmID bearings in place of the copper sleeves pressed in there!

Using hand tools I drilled and cleaned out a 3mm hole about 3mm deep at each end of the shaft mount:

Once done I pressed the bearings in and rebuilt the rotor shaft assembly:

Man it now runs so smooth! It's very quiet, has no shakes, has much more stable flight due to the rock solid shaft and also I notice it now has smoother stepping between throttle settings - very nice! The battery seems to last longer too! My guess is there would now be less load on the motor since it's no longer fighting the vibrations!

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Last edited by NitroCharged; Sep 11, 2006 at 04:58 AM.