View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:40 PM
Find More Posts by mwtrull
Joined Nov 2002
6 Posts
Brushless power system for a WindDancer?

I would appreciate any suggestions for a cost effective brushless power system for the flapped polyhedral version of the WindDancer. This is the 2-meter electric sailplane recently introduced by Polecat Aero. I am new to electrics so I do not know how to spec out a system for this plane.

Polecat Aero's flapped polyhedral prototype came in at 22 oz with a Graupner 6V S400, a 4:1 gearbox, an 11x8 prop, and an 8 cell pack (I do not know if it was 500 or 600). Garland Hanson, its builder, reported this system provided "a screaming 60 second climb" where "the last few climbs were quite steep . . . when I turned off the motor I was looking almost straight up".

And Dr. Mark Drela, who provided the wing airfoils and planform for the WindDancer, mentioned in another thread that a 2:1 gearbox (or slightly higher) on a 6V S400 with 7 cells may also be a good set-up for this system.

But I would prefer a brushless motor, principally for trouble-free operation (i.e. minimal set-up and maintenance) and improved efficiency (longer battery life and/or less weight for the same power). I will rarely compete with this plane, if at all, so contest rules are a secondary consideration.

The mere fact that I am considering a brushless motor says that cost is not a driving consideration, nonetheless I am interested in a cost effective solution.

Any suggestions for a motor, prop, and ESC would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Michael
mwtrull is offline Find More Posts by mwtrull