Old May 13, 2006, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by burntstringflier
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
How to Get Great Vertical Performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Hi Guys, I ready to put together my 3rd TM and really love my last 2. Want to upgrade, dare I say, to a brushless. What are your recommendations.

DAF
The feigao 120 IPS replacement motor (@balsa products) works fine with the stock IPS gearbox (B ratio and 9x7prop) if you keep it around 4 amps on a 3 cell Lipo. 450 maH E-Tec Lipo gives 15-18 minute flights. After many flights mine still goes nearly vertical. When the batteries were new it would go straight up, but not spectacularly. Which leads to:
I've used a feigao 130 (1308422S, I think) 10 amp motor on my PT-17. (now only $16 for the motor) It weighs less than the GWS 350C that some people use on Pico Tiger Moths. With a 15C or 20C 3 cell Lipo, say 650-800 mAh I think the vertical would be stunning (not at all truly Tiger-Mothish) but perhaps it would still be able to fly relatively slowly and maybe get 15 minute flights. This is one I would brace the wings on for sure.
Has anyone tried this motor? I've got 2 PTM slope gliders still in the boxes, and want to try a more interesting paint job. Tough to have to work for a living.
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier