Thread: Discussion GWS Tiger Moth Thread - Part 29
View Single Post
Old May 10, 2006, 11:35 PM
Find More Posts by burntstringflier
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
here's why you keep it in sight when flying

I flew over my house the other day, downwind from where I was in the front yard. Not a lot of wind, but suddenly my little yellow moth just dipped down right behind the peak of the roof. I immediately added up elevator and throttle, but it did not come back in sight within about 2 or 3 seconds, so there was nothing to do but cut power and walk around to look for it. Looks like it landed upside down. Fractured the motor stick(a first for my moth), and broke the wing. Tried foam safe "instant thin" super glue on the wing--didn't like it at all--it wouldn't set up, even after holding for nearly 5 minutes. So I took the joint apart, added more glue, taped it with masking tape, and left it for half an hour. Still didn't set up, so I used a tiny bit of Zip Kicker (I keep mine in a perfume atomizer). That did the trick, and didn't seem to hurt the foam. Also used some fiberglass tape over the splice, and colored it with a yellow sharpie--thanks to whoever suggested that-- it's as good a color match as anything I've found. So next time I'll keep that moth in sight--besides, she's so pretty in the air!
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier