View Single Post
Old Oct 18, 2002, 10:23 AM
Find More Posts by rcav8r2
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
Tried to teach myself to fly around 88-89ish with a Gentel Lady with .049 Figuered what could be so hard---left/right up/down. That's easy

Around the time I saw that wasn't working too well, there was a Mall Show hosted by the club I am now a member of. The guys there told me you can't learn on a gldier ( wrong), and to get a .40 sized glow trainer. This was in early spring, so by late spring I brought my new tainer (PT40) to the field for newbie Night (AKA Wally World (from NL Vacation)as we affectionattly call it now ) Anyway the official club instructor crashed my trainer 3 times before I got much stick time. He deamed it unflyable ( Now I see that he was just a horible pilot ) I decided to take a chance and head to the field on a weekend. Met up with an X- national championship pylon racer. He had me flying in less than a month...with my "unflyable" plane.

Tried electric a year or two after I soloed. It was a disaster, and gave up on them ( flew the heck out of the glow stuff though). In the meantime I flew some electrics for guys who showed up with them ( Great Pains Electra Cub, and PT-E) At the very most the motor would only extend the glide.

Around 1998, I Saw a review for the Twin Star in RCM, and it was glowing. Was kinda skeptical as the other electric ( and some glow planes) that I flew in the past also got "rave reviews" and they flew like trucks at best.
Then I discoverd the EZONE, and their review on the Twin Star. I ordered the Twin Star and on Aug 1998 ( I write the date of the first flight on my planes) I test flew my Twin Star. After that I was hooked. An electric that could easily cruse at 1/2 throttle and get over 10 minute flights. Other electric planes quicky joined my fleet. I still fly mostly glow, but am migrating slowly towards electric.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2