View Single Post
Old Mar 25, 2006, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by DesertJim
USA, AZ, Casa Grande
Joined Nov 2004
101 Posts
Flys well, looks GREAT, has flaps

I just completed mine last night and flew this morning for the first time. The build was quick and quite easy! I did run into some problem with alignment of the horizontal stabalizer. The manual says to measure "carefully" from each main wing tip to the tips of the stabalizer to insure proper allignment. After about an hour of measuring and head scratching I finally figured out that the main wing is nearly 3/4 inch longer on one side than the other. Since the wing is pre-formed (notched at the front center to fit around the fuselage) and the bolt hold down hole predrilled I finally decided to just ignore it and centered and glued the stab a square as I could.
The flight this morning showed what an off center wing does. The "short" wing drops and the plane pulls badly to one side - took about an eighth inch aleron trim to offset the pull. Once that was done it flew well. Low passes look quite real. It loops easily. I use a JR6102 and connected the aleron servos so that I would have flaps. They do slow it down nicely. Really floats down for landing.
I agree, not a good first plane, but a good second or third. Certainly not a 3D performer but with the 400 outrunner it performs easily as well as the video.
I'm going to try adding weight to the "short" wing to see if that helps. But would welcome other suggestions.
DesertJim is offline Find More Posts by DesertJim