Thread: Mini-HowTo For the Solite challenged...
View Single Post
Old Oct 03, 2002, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by cactus
Micro FPVer
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,658 Posts
I started covering my Cessna with Solite (White) several weeks ago. This is my first time covering Balsa with large openings Prior to this project I have used UltraCoat Plus on Foamies.

After several practice pieces I found the tempature for the iron that shrinks it well and is holding its shape great. Much better than UC+. Sure it is harder to handle but I agree with Martin on the fact that it is a great shinker. So far I have been able to use the following method for application:

First I measure off the section I want to cover with an inch or so off overhang. For example the bottom of the body of the MM Cessna 180 I used a single piece from the tail up to the cowl and over to the transition to the sides. I then lay the covering down on the workspace and work the end free to remove the backing. Once I get it started I position the piece over the area to cover and remove the backing as I lightly tack it down with my fingers. I then use the iron in one hand and pull with the other hand on one end in the middle and work my way towards the sides. I don't have a heatgun, so I just shrink the covering right there by pushing the covering with the iron to make the unsupported areas such as holes tight and then puch the wrinkles off the edges. It just kind of works good this way for me...
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus