View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:12 PM
Find More Posts by Treetop
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,173 Posts
Well, the graph is nice. I don't quite understand what the heat is in relation to (amps?) With a fresh charged 7 cell Kan 1050, I pull about 9 amps on the bench at WOT with the Gunther prop on the speed 400 from Multiplex. With a reverse timed Zagi motor, it only pulls about 8.5 amps, but just from the feel, not from a direct thrust check, the Zagi motor was seemingly providing a little less thrust.

As an aside, as to GWS planes, from the experiences of a couple friends, they tend to require at least having Lipo batteries in order to get any decent performance, as to weight and duration. Those tiny nimh or nicad packs that they can carry just don't have enough mah to keep them in the air long, and also from their experience, if there is a bit of wind, you need some big power. Having said that, a stock slowstick on lipos flies fine, although quite slow. The Corsair my friend has does the same with lipos.

The Multiplex planes are designed aroung the speed 400 and using larger batt packs than the GWS planes it seems. They are not what I would call textbook parkflyers, as they are a bit larger and faster stock. That is why I brought up using brushless on the TS, with Nimh, as it can easily handle the weight, same with the Easy Star, using lipo probably means adding lead to the nose.

So this is all subjective. I think the problem of using two speed controls, which isn't that much of a problem, but if there were a cheap electronic solution that came along, you would probably see a lot more twins being put on the market to take advantage of it.

I think the future is brushless. For some planes, like the Pico Cub, it is an easy choice, and since I have two, will probably go with a gearbox on one, then a brushless on the second. Still using Nimh battery packs. That is one reason I went with Multiplex to begin with was the size is a little more able to fly in some wind, and the build quality, as well as the durability of the elapor. I have witnessed my friends E-starter turn to a bag of chunks on the maiden flight. He bought another one and finally was able to master it. Of course replacing an E-starter is cheap, if you get the slope version. That is an advantage GWS has, especially here in the US, where Multiplex charges as much for a wing and a fuse as you pay for an entire kit, and then they are very hard to find.

My TwinStar will be flown before buying a TS2 jcosta, but I ain't sure what year that might be.

Anyway, it is all good, I even enjoyed flying a 2 channel until I got bored and started to try things that it didn't really want to do, and maybe this is what all the chatter is about. Some might find the stock TSII too boring and realize this without trying it stock, for others, their pulse will be about 180 with it on the first few flights.

Forty degrees, that is cold, it was eighty here the last couple days. It is all relative, I was in Key West in February once and the temp went down in the fifties, the natives were bundled up like eskimoes.

Happy Contrails. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop