Thread: Build Log THORN build n' fly......
View Single Post
Old Feb 25, 2006, 02:11 AM
Find More Posts by THUREN
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Build Log
THORN build n' fly......

Finally got it and DANG what a concept!!! I like it!!!

Gonna' keep this simple for now...

~pro's

*Sturdy as HECK, and not much in the way of finishing.... Even though it's hardwood, I'd tend to say it's "easier" than balsa to finish and round edges, for the fact that you can just go nuts with the 120grit right across the grain. Then finish with 220-400. No stress that you're gonna' gouge the wood..

*pleanty of room for gear....

* Sweet lines for a bulky "WOODY"...

~Con's

*Surprize-surprize, it's wood from New York, and I'm in dry Cali. It's got about 1/8" anhedral in both halves so I soaked a paper towel in water, wiped down the cores, and let them sit with my wifes wussy little 5lb lead shot weights for the nite... After about 20min I can allready see a change and this should be no biggie...

*Instuctions need a "little" help as they are VERY descriptive, but few pictures... I'm sure Andreas will update this though as the kits progress... Still not bad AT ALL for a new to the market kit... The main thing I'm not sure of at this point is if the TE is supposed to be strait. If I sand the root[s], to line up the wing bolt holes it looks like it might have some sweep.. Not sure, just an observation..

So here's where I'm at....

Busted open the box, checked it out, went to dinner with my wife and some friends, downed a few Jack-n'-cokes, came home and got dusty for about 20 min. sanding. Allready have a goop hinge setting for the nite... I'm going to get the plane 90% done and leave the finishing/painting till almost last. I plan to leave a natural wood finish with black tips on the top, with a black and white scheme on the bottom.. At this point I plan to clear-coat the entire plane after the contrasting colors are set up...

More progress tomorrow hopefully!!

Don
THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN
Last edited by THUREN; Feb 25, 2006 at 02:42 AM.