View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2006, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by Brad S
Arab, AL
Joined Jan 2002
769 Posts
Thanks for the data Rod.
The most telling data points for my applications is the voltage delta early in the discharge, before the cell temperatures increase substantially. At an average of nearly 9C, the overall voltage profiles are most applicable to those with setups that provide about 6 minutes of flight time available and limited cooling. For those of us flying systems with significantly more available flight time (10-12 minutes, in my case), and/or with substantial cooling, the later part of the voltage profiles will likely be far less favorable than what you're seeing in these tests. A 20C burst beyond the 50% discharge point on a cell that has not substantially increased in temperature can be brutal. Based on the voltage profile shapes, I think I can guess which of these two cells would have the highest burst capability late in the discharge and at more modest operating temperatures; and I don't think it would even be close.

I look forward to seeing more data from this type of tests. Thanks again for your efforts.

Brad
Brad S is offline Find More Posts by Brad S