Thread: Build Log Stevens Aero Edge 1.5
View Single Post
Old Feb 06, 2006, 11:11 AM
Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,421 Posts
I use a temperature controlled iron set at ~175degf to start. Use it like the balsa squeegee - from the center outward. If all the water is out, nothing will happen except the Aerofilm underneath may sag a little. If there is water, a texture will appear. If you see the texture, use the balsa squeegee to remove a little more water. Once it is all gone, squeegee with the iron (especially on small wrinkles) until the covering is stuck down. You might want to turn the iron up to 200deg to seal the edges but be careful as the extra heat seems to encorage bubbles.
Small bubbles left seem to get smaller with time. I've had some success pricking them but they tend to deflate unevenly leaving a bagel shaped spot. Water will collect in any channel formed under the covering by balsa or covering seems. With careful smoothing, the SoLite takes on the exact shape of whatever is beneath it. It will not hide any imperfections but with a little heat it will even follow compound curves. You can cover across hinge lines, remove the water then cut along the hingeline carefully (new razorblade) and seal the edges of the covering. The covering must be dry to seal the edge. I have let covering sit overnight when I could not dry the hingeline.
I'll post pics of my tool and some good and not so good results tonight.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant