View Single Post
Old Sep 18, 2002, 08:15 PM
Sail 'n Soar is offline
Find More Posts by Sail 'n Soar
Registered User
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Aug 2002
767 Posts
Work in Progress

The picture is a a gas powered trainer I designed to have glider like characteristics, but without all the launch and space requirements of a glider. Unfortunately, I could never get the motor running reliably enough to actually fly it. After getting hooked on electric with my Megatech Merlin sans landing gear, I decided to convert my trainer to electric - stubby grass field relatively near my house and who needs the extra weight anyway!

I'm going to build a new fuselage for the electric, so decided to do a little hand-launching to check areas and proportions before drawing up the new fuselage and tail feathers. A few steel washers in place of the engine weight and I was off.

Good things I learned: Wing works/good glide ratio; Monokote open structure stands up to the tough grass and stubble/

Things to improve: 3/32" wire LG too thin; tends to tip stall vs a benign mush; control surfaces relatively innefective. Next Post for Test Bird Corrections.
Sail 'n Soar is offline Find More Posts by Sail 'n Soar
Reply With Quote