Old Sep 16, 2002, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by sblack
Scott Black, Montreal
montreal quebec Canada
Joined Sep 1999
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob P
[B]Stalling is not a function of speed but of angle, and the stall angle for a particular airfoil is constant. If you push /pull too hard at any speed you will stall the wing.
There is a direct relationship between speed and AOA. The faster you are flying, the further from the stall AOA you are when you do your pullup. If you have lots of thrust, you won't bleed off as much speed on the pull-up and hence won't approach the stall AOA. Speed is the best protection from a stall.

Quote:
Like sblack says he needs 1/3 to 1/2 elevator just to fly level inverted, just think of the drag.
I am not having to push to maintain a large negative AOA, which of course would be draggy. I am having to push just to combat the cg being too far forward. That airplane has a symmetrical section.
Quote:
Flying an axial roll is very hard when you have to push so hard just to maintain a straight line when inverted!
That is mostly due to cg, unless you are talking about some god-awful massively undercambered thing. You can move the cg back on a Clark-y and have very nice axial rolls, and a minimal down requirement for inverted flight. Just use the dive test and set it up neutral. I have seen Keith do all sorts of outside maneuvers with his numerous Clark-Y winged airplanes.
sblack is offline Find More Posts by sblack