Thread: Build Log Stevens Aero Edge 1.5
View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,421 Posts
Finished rough sand of the cowl tonight. It's pretty unconventional shaped but it grows on you. I really love my balsa plane from Windsor Propeller. It has come in soooo handy. Removes wood much faster than sandpaper and more precisely than a knife. The more wood you can remove with the plane the less sanding. Spent ~30 min planing and 20-30 min sanding.
The air intake is a 1/8" gap around the 3" spinner. Tha area is:
(pi X 1.5625 X1.5625) - (pi X 1.5 X1.5) = 0.6sq in. That's not much but I still have some coutouring to do and the spinner actually sits 1/8" in front of the hole so the opening is a lot bigger. Remember the motor is mounted radially so it is in the airstream right behind the spinner. I also have my eye on a 2-7/8" ULTIMATE (listening Bill?) spinner that is way more pointy. I could add a scoop if it is really necessary but I like the 'turbo' cowl. Cowl weight is 6.5 now but those flat areas can be holed out since I'm covering it anyway. Maybe I can finish it up tomorrow.
Kirby - I'm building both Edges together. Helps a lot to see how everything is supposed to fit together. I'm shooting for a double maiden before SEFF.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant