Old Aug 31, 2002, 04:15 PM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,468 Posts
Fiberglass strapping tape VS carbon fiber......

Having read in many threads about the use of carbon fiber to reinforce wings...I became concerned about the possible health and enviornmental hazards.....carbon fiber is pretty nasty stuff as anyone who has ever gotten a splinter stuck in them knows...it becomes immediately infected and when you try to remove it you have to be careful not to break it or you'll have to cut it out......plus when you cut it it makes a fine dust that when inhaled can become a real problem later....
I 've even heard that it has been banned in some countries...........and can you imagine how long this stuff will pose a threat in some landfill...could affect someone a thousand years from now.....I realize that if you are going to build a maus or IFO you must use it ,so I recommend that you cut it under running water and never sand it if at all if possible.....and when you consider the weight savings ,by the time you epoxy it down ,there goes the weight issue .....since I consider all of you my virtual OFBS...just wanted to let you know.......safety man!!!!!!!!!!
on the other hand ,have been using fiberglass strapping tape as wing reinforcement for thirty years now and have NEVER had a wing failure...What never!!!...well, hardly ever!!! some crashes could destroy anything!!!!!... and it it cheap ,relatively safe and sticks well to foam...give it a try ,I know you'll like it !!!!!!
Want you guys to be around for many years so that's why I'm posting this .....good luck, good health,good flying!!!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw