View Single Post
Old Dec 06, 2005, 06:54 AM
Find More Posts by mlh1961
Indio, CA.
Joined Sep 2005
511 Posts
Blaze.45,

Red 61 is not that far off. If you think that mating 2 planes is akin to making a cow jump over the moon, then I have done it. I mated 2 GWS P-51's together to make a very nice flying P82/F82.

In fact if you look closely at the profile of the GWS P40 you will notice very strong similarities to the P38 booms. If you cut off the razorback, add a couple of strategically placed air scoops and use some good old fashinoed modeling skills, a fair modeler could build a very nice stand-off scale P38.

Granted it is not the ARF that everyone has become so comfortable with, but it can be done.

Besides, isn't that what modeling is all about? Showing up at the flying field on a beautiful morning, greeting all of your other flying buddies, looking at whatever new creation someone has in-evitably brought?

I get a sense satisfaction and pride when I show up with a new plane that everyone recognizes, but no-one has, because I have used some enginuity and built it either from scratch or by mating 2 kits.

Here is one for you to try if you feel like it....mate 2 ME 109's together and make a Mosquito.....or turn a ZERO into a Texan.

The whole point of this long-winded post is to break away from the "I'm waiting for the ARF to come out", and let your imagination be your guide, look around and see what can be built from what is available, use some of those modeling skills and create something that no-one else at the club has. It's a hobby for criminy's sake....have fun with it!
mlh1961 is offline Find More Posts by mlh1961