Thread: Build Log Durex V
View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by Esprit2
Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA
Joined Jan 2005
261 Posts
Jon,
I thought I had some more info on the Durex squirreled away somewhere, but I'm not sure where it is at the moment. However, if you contact the Minnesota RC Soaring Society via their website, you may find some old-timers there who were around back in the 1970's-early 80's when Bob was building the Durex series.

For now I can't add any first hand knowledge of the plane other than to say I used to stop and watch whenever Bob would fly it at the MNRCSS field. It is a graceful floater that you fly up the winch line on launch, rather than the frantic ballistic object so many modern sailplanes become during launch.

It's airfoil and basic layout pretty much "set" what it is, and I don't believe you'll be able to force much of a change upon it's personality with a stronger spar and fully sheeted D-Tube (there's a reason why people don't bother putting jet engines in Piper Cubs). If you want more speed performance and penetration, choose a different plane. If you fly the Durex for what it is, then the spar is strong enough in the same sense that an Aquila Grande's wing is strong enough. Reinforcement you don't need just adds weight to no great advantage.

The launch lasts for seconds. A good flight can last a l-o-n-g time. Don't make the launch the parameter that defines the plane.

Good luck,
Tim
Esprit2 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit2