Thread: NITRO Vs. GAS
View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2002, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by apache5056
Akron, Ohio
Joined Aug 2002
3 Posts
Gas is catching glow at a much faster pace than glow ever dreamed of. A perfect example was IMPBA District 1 were a gas boat took first place in F mono (a glow class). Two years in a row if memory serves me correctly.

There will be new gas innovations coming soon. There just might be some gas setups to top the 100mph mark in the next year or so. I would go as far as saying before the end of 2003. There is reports of 90+ with rigger and hydro setups now.

I am not knocking or even downing glow in any means. I have great deal of respect for glow drivers. If it was not for them, there would be no point in advancing design or skill and some of the hull designs would not be on the water today.

The disadvantage gas has is the weight to horse power ratio. It is much harder to design a hull that can keep the HP to weight ratio in perspective. Gas (in general and in the upper end engines) has a much higher HP to weight ratio than glow.

I have no experience with canards but a well setup gas rigger with an experienced driver is mighty hard to beat with any type of boat, glow or gas!
apache5056 is offline Find More Posts by apache5056