View Single Post
Old Nov 04, 2005, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by Vintauri
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,446 Posts
I understand your frustration in this situation. At our shop we do our best to know how to help the customers and honestly most distributors are happy to replace product that a store uses to fix a customers issue provided that it is a defect and not abuse. That should speak volumes to the customer.

But on the other side nice guys rarely win. I have seen more hobby shops that keep a hard line and almost have a like it or leave it attitude succeed where the helpful guy just gets burned by the customer.

As for the margins on items such as planes and cars you really don't see much markup these days. Your lucky to get 10%. It's the supporting items that still have a decent markup but it takes a lot of $2 props to keep the lights on and the rent paid.

Very few mom and pop hobby shops are really making money. It's the large stores in big metro areas that are making money. For the rest it's a labor of love and a hobby in it's own.

My 2 cents on this endless topic. Go find the place that will give you service. If it's internet or mail order so be it, they've earned it. By now if a LHS does not see the internet as their competition then they will be gone sooner then you can get that next order direct from Hobby Lobby.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri