Old Oct 31, 2005, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by SoarScale2
SoarScale
United States, WI, Wind Lake
Joined Nov 2004
814 Posts
P61C Black Widow series (#7)

Final flaperon hinging and sheeting

Once the wing TE hinges were in place, the double sided hinges and cross bars were threaded onto the hinge pin ready for applying half the flaperon bottom surface skin. These are shown in the first picture.

Picture two shows the half TE width sheet in place, drilled for glue access to the cross bars. The hinges and sheeting were tested and trimmed as required for fit prior to the sheeting being glued to the ribs and leading edge of flaperon. With the flaperon sheeting in place, holes predrilled for hinge cross bar glue access, each hinge block could be lifted into place and glued in position.

Allthough the third picture is not very informative, it does show one of the flaperon hinge blocks glued in position.

The forth picture shows the addition of the final piece of flaperon bottom surface sheeting and the remaining sheeting on the bottom of the wing and aileron using Ultimate Glue and the foam cores. This completed the main structure of the irst wing panelwing panel. The other wing panel was a repeat of this one.

The last picture is all three panels together with tip blocks added.

Throughout this construction process, the structure was never placed over the plans. Everything was built on the foam cores. After checking the incidences in a static position on my bench, moving only the incidence meter, all root chord locations/angles on the wing were identical. Each tip was measured and the difference between root and tip calculated both tips were identical. For me, a testament to the method I used. I'm happy!!
SoarScale2 is offline Find More Posts by SoarScale2