Old Oct 31, 2005, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
3,102 Posts
Gallery
Phenomenal P61 Black Widow project!

Tony Elliott, (old flying buddy o' mine and famed in sailplane circles for his enormous 35-foot span ETA-- seen on Paul Naton's Pro Aerotow video), is building an incredibly sophisticated 114" P61 Black Widow, from the Ziroli plan.
Modeled after the post-war P61C for the Thunderstorm project, this version has the turrent removed, the radar placed up front, and a black/red/yellow color scheme, for investigating thunderstorms (and eventually hurricanes).

Two Lazer 300 vee-twins converted to spark, with dual electronic ignition systems on each engine, on-board FEMA starters, Ziroli air retracts with three air sequencers and wheel brakes, SEVENTEEN servos (yup, count 'em, 17), three gyros, two opto-isolators to prevent glitches, four Matchboxes to sychronize ganged servos, one Equalizer II (for spoilers), 6 lipo batteries and one (absolutely bulletproof and ultra-reliable) receiver. Man!

In addition to the complete cockpit detail kit, Tony plans to add all panel lines and simulated flush riveting, with weathering. I look at stuff like this and it makes me cry for envy. Having the time to do a project like this is one hurdle, having the skill and stamina is another!

Go, Tony, go!

Don Bailey
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy