Old Oct 29, 2005, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Discussion
DC-3 Guillows conversion

Ok, so its not quite scale modeling, but close enough. First, the wingspan was enlarged to 39.75" (from 35.5) to provide 161sq-in wing area. Stock is about 145, a bit small. It does look a bit like a glider, with the extra wing, but should still look good.
Modifications include:
The center wing panel was lengthened 2 inches. The endswingtips were moved out were 1-3/8" each, adding small strips to the front of the wing formers, to make up for the difference. The wing formers are in there original places, with the solid shaped balsa wingtips moved outward. By doing this, the tapered panels now have a new geometry, thus the need to add a bit to the chord depth, by extending the front of the formers to meet with the LE spar. Shims were used in building, for washout. A cf rod runs through the wing formers and is glued in place. The precision holes for the rod ended up being large hogged out areas, filled with glue. Aileron control is Sullivan gold cable.
Used GWS landing gear mounts, mounted on light ply plates, for the lg mount, as I'm not big on gluing the LG wire into balsa. The tailwhell is steerable. The original nacelle frame pieces were used, lined with cf spar, and joined into the wing with cf spar. The engine was mounted using the front screw mount, using the Guillows wheel halves for engine mounts. Couldn't have asked for a better mount. Spruce blocks were glued to the ends of the nacelle forks, for the engine mount screws to thread into. I have a whole bag of Guillows wheels, since I usually use others. The cowls and engines are removable, and the engines have GWS heatsinks.
I'm using a GWS 300-LI esc. Typical GWS uses nice 20 ga silicone on the batt side, and cheap 22 ga on the motor side, while rating at 15A cont, using heatsink. Soldered 20 ga silicone wire (Maxx Prod) for the motor side. May actually be good for near 15A now.
Edit: Was planning on 3-blade props, but they load the speed 300 motors down a bit much. The litte GWS 4520 props work well on the DD setup. Pn a completely unrelated note, heard the dog barking. Dig it, MA just came in the mail!
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Last edited by scratchandbash; Feb 15, 2007 at 09:54 PM.