View Single Post
Old Sep 30, 2005, 03:46 PM
Find More Posts by Tha Hodgehound
End of an Era.....
Hodges Hobbies...well 8 miles from there!!!
Joined Mar 2004
2,905 Posts
No. You do not have to make power approaches. But remember most people flying these p-51 have little or no experience landing. The power on landing is an extremely useful tool to learn as early as you can, and w/ this plane it is very easy to master. It will help you as you advance to more agile and somewhat "twitchy" planes that are sure to come. Also power on will help keep a slightly miss-tuned engine running and not as likely to quit on approach. Nobody wants to learn dead-stick landings at the same time they are just learning to fly. I am not saying you can't chop the throttle and glide her in but you need to be comfortable w/ the planes handling characteristics at slow speeds and what speed or lack thereof you can get away w/ before she snaps. To a fairly experienced flyer power off landings are easy but for a "newbie" it more often than not spells C-R-A-S-H. I train a half dozen people a year to fly and more often than not they say power on landings feel more comfortable than "gliding her in". They also pick up power landings quicker. Jeez I'm rambling. Foofinator, hope we're not confusing you even more than when you first post.
Tha Hodgehound is offline Find More Posts by Tha Hodgehound
RCG Plus Member