View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:57 AM
button is offline
Find More Posts by button
Registered User
button's Avatar
Nashville
Joined Apr 2004
297 Posts
I needed just a few thousandths of an inch more clearance between my stator and bell, and compressing the windings was not a practical option with my motor. So, I used a permanent flat file similar to the "Permagrit" variety that some of you may have to grind a brass thrust washer down to about 1/3 of its original thickness. I then placed it on the shaft with the ground end facing the bell, and the bevelled end toward the bearing. Results after reassembling the motor and testing it: no more bell/wire rubbing, and no loss in efficiency (which is what I got by "overspacing" with a full sized washer).
button is offline Find More Posts by button
Reply With Quote