View Single Post
Old Jun 03, 2005, 01:12 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Fixed Wing Fanatic
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
Hi Wreckman,

Your concern is valid. I knew seeing me fly the plane in the video from what is obviously a paved street would raise concern from experienced flyers and possibly mislead new flyers. That is why in the article I carefully described the location as being in an unused subdivision that has no housing as yet and dead ends into the desert. Apparently this was edited out because I just went back and couldn't find it in the article. The site is quite safe because the street dead ends in the desert and no cars ever come through there. The telephone poles you saw and the interstate are actually quite far away. Their proximity is an optical illusion created by the video camera's lense. I also never flew in the direction of the interstate, always circling and doing aerobatics over the desert away from it. The segments where you can see it are during takeoffs, landings, and low passes over the street where I operated and this was the closest I ever got.

I used this site as it is very close to where I live and my wife and I could get there quickly to do the shoot when the weather turned fair that evening. I couldn't do the shoot at a AMA field because I don't belong to one. The flying field I referred to earlier in the article was an old agricultural landing strip that some friends of mine and I get to use occasionally.

Thanks for your concern and input.

Jim Walker
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker