View Single Post
Old May 14, 2005, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by RCheroske
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
Low cost 5 meg Polaroid Camera

Found this camera at Circuit City for $129 plus $20 rebate = $109.

Polaroid PDC5070

http://www.polaroid-digital.com/site.php?cid=14&lid=1&serid=1&pid=5

Unlike most of the low cost 5 meg cameras that I have been looking at, this camera has a true 5 meg chip. It is not a 5 meg intropolated 1.3 meg chip piece of used dog food.

So far I've taken some pictures and played with it a little and I like it.

Good points for AP
1. True 5 megs.
2. One step shutter button. So it should be easy to setup with a servo or electronic switch. (Actually I've found the button to be a little sensitive and have taken accidental pictures of my shoe.... )
3. The auto power is setupable . IE you can turn off the power off saving mode!!
4. Runs off of 4 AAA batteries. AKA 4.8 volts which your radio also runs off. Which means you probably can leave the batteries out and run the camera straight off your radio power supply without a regulator. ( But we may need to check the amp draw first...........)
5. Can take up to a 1 GIG sd card. great for video!!
6. The weight of the camera without the batteries came to 134 grams or just over 4 ozs.
7. It is a simple point n shoot camera without a lot of bells and whistles.

Some drawbacks

1. It is a simple point n shoot camera without a lot of bells and whistles.

2. Fixed focal lens but it does have a glass lens!

3. You have to wait 2 seconds between shots.

For the price, it looks like a good step up from the Aipteks. Without having to buy and risk some of the more expensive cameras for AP. Tomorrow, I plan to do some more testing and then build a mount for my Slow Stick to carry it. Watch this space for pictures.

BTW There is a 3.2 meg version of this camera for sale for $89 if you want to go that way!!
RCheroske is offline Find More Posts by RCheroske