Thread: Turbinia
View Single Post
Old Apr 28, 2005, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,413 Posts
Turbinia

Yesterday, I went to the new Discovery Museum in Newcastle upon Tyne here in the UK. In particular, I wanted to take some pics of the newly restored Turbinia. About 100ft long and skinny as a rake! She is an historic vessel in that she was the first steam-turbine ship. Built in 1894, she reached speeds of 39mph which astonished and worried the navy at the time, as they had dismissed any suggestion of the new engine being of any use.

The ship was then sent racing around the huge Spithead Naval Review of the year where all the latest (and until then fastest) warships were lined up for the annual display of the Royal Navy. The Admiralty were enraged and sent their boats out to intercept, but of course they were unable to catch Turbinia.

I've had this on my 'must build' list for years - 1960 to be precise, as that was the first time I saw her.

Here are a few pics which may encourage others to have a go too. A quick search brings up quite a few enthusiastic sites.

In the pics, the screw arrangements are what is most eye-catching - three shafts, each with three props! the rudder is offset.

The next set of pics will be of the scale model - rubber powered - built to check the layout.
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver