View Single Post
Old Mar 21, 2005, 03:28 PM
hybris is offline
Find More Posts by hybris
Registered User
hybris's Avatar
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
751 Posts
Be careful with the Deans micro polarized.

I fried my first lipo due to user error. I have been flying lipos for 3 years now and never had a problem. I just finished a lunchtime micro-heli flight, unplugged the battery and put the heli in the back of my car. I usually store the battery in a fireproof container, but not this time. A couple of seconds later, I saw smoke! Grabbed the heli and pulled the battery off. The connector was fried. The pin on the esc shorted between the battery's pin and socket. Melted the connector slightly and now the battery was too hot to touch. Too bad, it was an almost new Apogee 1050 3s. I let it sit for a couple of minutes but it is still hot. I thought I saw the smoke coming from the battery (tabs probably) so I think I will retire it.

Two things can be learned from this experience. Always remove the battery from the aircraft and be careful with those Deans micro polarized connectors. I think I will put the little rubber caps (screw protectors) over the battery connectors from now on. I just thought I would share this and I am happy I only lost a battery. I don't want to start a panic, just be precautious.
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
Reply With Quote