View Single Post
Old May 22, 2002, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,463 Posts
I was talking to Clarence Hurd last night and there are issues with these cells that I have a small amount of information on. I still haven't got the data behind these graphs on my site, hopefully tonight. But, the M20-HV Toytronics motor with this setup pulls between about 0.38 and 0.34 amps for the first 10 minutes or so of motor run, at full throttle. The M20-LV pulls between 0.70 and 0.50 for the first seven minutes of motor run from a NiMH. From the 135 LiPoly cell the LV pulls between 0.75 and 0.63 amps. BUT, the manufactures site lists this cell at 260ma. The question is whether we fly at full throttle flight after flight, or do we fly with short bursts of full throttle. I don't know what effect either of these will have on battery life. Maybe Dave will sacrifice one of his two cells for the common good. I suspect that Dan Krieg may know the answer. He flys a lot, does a lot of hovering and other manuvers that abuse the battery. So, if the larger cells he is selling are similar to these cells, we can probably get some kind of idea from his experiences.

{corrrected}
Here's what I can say. At the end of a sustained 21-minute full throttle run with the M20-HV, the cell was the same temperature it started. At the end of a ten minute full throttle run with the M20-LV pulling considerably more amps, the cell was slightly warm. By slightly I mean not hot, and I could just detect that it was warm. Other than this, I have no idea how long they will last except it's doubtful I'll put this much stress on them when flying.

Dan???
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; May 22, 2002 at 03:11 PM.