View Single Post
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by Herleman
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,524 Posts
Hovertime:

Yes. I can't really say how. I left it over a weekend, outside (temperature in the mid 50's and no direct sunlight. We had on old Weber grill, the round kind with a domed lid and a vent in the lid. I have the batteries sitting on a piece of marble tile (left over from my entryway). When I lifted the lid, the underside of the lid, and the grate were charred white, and the battery was just a couple of wires and some ash. It kinda looked like a road flare looks after it burns out.

I usually leave my other packs in there, too, but they were with me.

By the way, the grill worked OK I guess. There was nothing burned on the outside, and the marble tile was blackened where the remains of the battery were.

I have no idea how it ignited. I had used it on the Magpie and run it to the LVC, then brought it back and charged it to its now normal 12.5 voltage range. It was not hot when I took it off the charger.

I didn't take this one with me because it had Velcro all over it to allow me to use it to position the C/G on the Magpie. The Velcro made that pack not fit properly in my Dandy GT. I can only speculate, but is surely possible that it may have caused a real problem if it had been in the top of my flight box in the trunk of the car.
Herleman is offline Find More Posts by Herleman