View Single Post
Old Feb 03, 2005, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by mode1
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
I built almost all of the Comet kits as a kid. Built a thermic100 (I think that was the name), and lost it OOS on the first tow. Had many Sparkys. Lots of these kinds of kits available at my local small food store. A dollar got several kits and small silver tubes of glue. Also built many other brands of stick and tissue kits of the 50s-60s. loads of fun.
I was too small built/poor for football/basketball/baseball so spent much time building/flying models. Never met in person any other modeler interested in the none-powered stuff. So I got into powered freeflight and controlline. Then radio control. Pattern/IMAC. Had enjoyment but always missed the models I built when younger.

Something special about the delicate building-trimming-flying the slow flying, quiet models. They talked to me in a way the others have not.

Guess that is why I started building the small electrics. Can walk to the local schoolyard and have some "escape" time. No loading a hundred pounds of equipment into a truck, driving several miles, unloading, waiting for a turn to fly. Clean up the mess. Head back.

After I move into a different house (retiring)in the spring I might try once more to build a small rubber powered bird and recapture a long silent flight at dusk or dawn. Sometimes mesmerizing watching the sun shinning through the delicate structure floating overhead. Never forgot.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1