View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by twest
100% electric since 1990
United States, MA, Ware
Joined Jul 2001
1,430 Posts
I bought a second one for the $99 price. The one that I've been flying since July has an astro 25G (brushless) on 4s4p lipo (soon to be 5s4p), about 650 watts, we'll see how it likes more power.

BTW, I also put the R and E servos in the tail, and it is quite difficult to balance the plane that way- I would not recommend it. Part of the reason that I'm going to a 5s pack is because I need noseweight. At first I had a mega 45/3e in the nose, a honkin' 11 oz. motor, and I still had to move the battery pack far forward to balance. When going to the astro motor, wich weighs 8oz with gearbox, the plane is still tail heavy even with a higley heavy prop hub. Put the servos as shown in the plans and the plane will be fine.

The elevator is fine, tape works well on planes even larger than this. I also replaced the LG with a carbon unit for more prop clearance.

My only complaint is that I don't like the covering scheme as produced. I prefer opaque colors in a 40-sized pattern ship.

My plan is to compete in my first pattern competition this spring, hence the slightly over the top power. You wont need 800 watts for sport flying! Local pattern flyers have flown this plane and said that it flies surprisingly well for a 40 sized plane- it is at least as good as the venus. These guys tend to be pretty critical ("anything smaller than 90-sized sucks").
twest is offline Find More Posts by twest
Last edited by twest; Jan 22, 2005 at 10:40 AM.