Old Jan 07, 2005, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by whanderson
Baltimore Bwi Rr Stn, Maryland, United States
Joined Oct 2003
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGinCanada
Hi Pat,
Thanks for the input. I read through the info on your website with great interest (particularly enjoyed the DUKW build).

It looks like the Hitek EZX-R may be the way to go, although I am considering investing in some higher end equipment as I intend to continue in this hobby for some time to come.

What I'd really like to do is try them all and buy the one I like best Ah well, lets wait and see what Santa brings...

Regards,
Ray
Poor low speed motor control can be the result of 2 things. Some ESCs set a dead band where any throttle position below a preset value is considered no throttle. This causes a jump from nothing to a moderate speed as the throttle stick moves in a linear fashion. This is a simple method of compensating for variations in throttle trim. The other possibility is the ESC's switching frequency. At low motor speeds, low ESC switching frequencies are ineffective. RC ESC's operate in the several khz to several 100khz range. 100khz ESCs are very popular in the helicopter community. I have tested several of these and they have excellent low speed control. I can forward you a Microchip datasheet that gives more detail. Some of the ESCs you mention have low and high frequency capabilities. Anyway, for your application higher ESC switching frequency, 8khz or higher, will give better low speed control.

Bill
whanderson is offline Find More Posts by whanderson