View Single Post
Old Jan 06, 2005, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by pda4you
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by majic12
Has anyone run a tuned pipe on a .90 size engine, if so , do you think it's worthwhile going to such a set up or is a waste of time, mine in particular is a G90 Supertigre with a mac's pipe, I havent fitted the pipe yet as the engine still needs to be broken in and as it is the header is to shallow for a proper fit to my plane , but if I get any favourable comments regarding this sort of set up , I will find a way to fit it together
thanks
Roger Z.
It is best if you break them in with the pipe - you want the engine speed at break in to be about your top RPM on the pipe. You can also use a smaller prop to attain this.

ABC engines properly timed can benefit greatly from the use of a tuned pipe. You can easily acheive (with engines timed for their use) a great deal more power 15% is easy to get.

That is the good news. Here is the bad, they are a pain to setup and they work the engines very hard. They add weight also. You will go through plugs regularly. But they are quiet, sound great, and keep some of the mess off the front of the plane, plus the added power.

You can do one of two things - get the Ultrathrust tuned mufflers, they get you more power or do what I started to do rather than mess with pipes. Just get a larger motor with more power. With the bored out engines, you can often find a larger motor with the same weight as the smaller ones!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you