View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2004, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by billystiltner
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,667 Posts
Graham

Thanks. I might try that on my next one. Your pinion looks to be the same one I'm using but you've trimmed it down. I've allready fitted a spur to a 0.25" shaft.
Thought about using 1/64" shaft but gosh thats small. I guess I'll try one like Dave W posted to begin with. I'm wanting to be able to change out motors initially and use the gearbox with the 20maH as well as 40maH on small and large(pistachio)planes. Wonder if 6:1 will have to have too big of prop for a 4" plane at the weight they(4"span planes) are currently made? Seems like Matt said there was not much diference in flying time with the different motors and ratios but is flying for longer now. With the higher ratio I will most definately use your(Peter's technique you posted) technique as theres no room for the bush tube with that small of ratio. Nice gearbox. I think it will pay for itself with the added efficiency plus you wont notice if you change your mains to Litz wire. On the Litz wire thing I found I could fold the end over a pin, hold both ends, and twist(same direction as Litz was made) so I have an eylet then apply flux with toothpick. Apply solder to iron tip, push iron tip into eylet, hold till smoke disapears, pull iron out and have an eylet filled with solder. The eylet then solders to anything with a touch of the iron and the ends do not fray.

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Last edited by billystiltner; Nov 18, 2004 at 03:24 PM.