View Single Post
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by Rob Schaffer
Scale Builder, RCAPA #29
Lansdale, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,370 Posts
Camera Setup

I have been trying to develop a rotating mount that would serve the purpose, but for these photos two flights were around the property with the angle of the camera near 40 deg. down from horizontal, and then another flight was made with a different mount, making the camera face straight down for the plan view.

As far as framing, I have been able to get a decent feel for what I am looking at. I fly to position, power off, and snap away on the downline. I typically fly a box around the property, which maximizes the opportunity for photos. Once back at the car, I download to my laptop, quick preview to make sure things are looking good, then fly again if I didn't get what I wanted or was asked to acheive. For this particular job, I did three flights, and ended up with 110 photos taken. Of that, 79 were of good focus of some portion of the property/subject. From those, I would say I had 15-20 excellent ones, which I narrowed down to the three posted above.

Typically, I would burn all 79 to a CD for the client, photoshop up to 10 for digital enhancement or cropping, and provide them with (2) 8.5x11 photo sheets (print sizes selected by them) for $100. This guy wasn't interested in the CD, just (3) 8x10's. One from the road side, one from behind the property, and a plan view. So, $60 is what I asked for this time to cover prints, drive time, flight time. He is going to let me know about framing, as I can do that for about $65 additional. (Nice wood frame, matting, and mounted)

I'm not really into it for a "business" yet, so making a few dollars having fun flying in and out of different situations and places is great for having a blast flying! Maybe next year I'll try to pursue things a bit more, now that I have a decent group of photos for a sample booklet.
Rob Schaffer is offline Find More Posts by Rob Schaffer