View Single Post
Old Apr 08, 2002, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by thelocust
aka ben wilson
louisville, ky, usa
Joined Mar 2001
832 Posts
HLGs/DLGs on the cheap, one mans journey :)

Welp, i happen to live in louisville, and saw bruce davidson chucking about last june, and decided to look into the idea of a DLG. However, i'm a cheap, cheap bastard. And the DLGs, well... thems some classy ladies.

Aaaanywho, i picked up one of the last Red Herring DLG's from thermal gromit works , and it flew well, but it was made of styro -- which considering my nature of using my servos in any number of planes that i fancy, didn't hold up too well (styro will fall apart, and is really meant for permanent fixtures). it is still in flying condition, and was a good stiff craft that wing launched very well, but is now waiting for a bit of an over-haul. My Red Herring Gallery

Next up, i have a Noseeum from Aerofoam , which is made from some spongy EPP, and is a great, hardy, light ship. However, i can't get her to launch quite right DLG style. Maybe she's a little too flimsy (she's got a spar! She's got strapping tape! What more can a man give!), and the CG is a little touchy.

Now, i had some stuff left over from the NoSeeum, and i found a great foam glider called the "Ultra Flyer" with straight good wings that i intend to turn into at least a small HLG, if not a cheap little DLG. So, here continues my cheap HLG/DLG journey! My YellowBelly Gallery

Really, i just intended this post to generate some feedback on cheap hlgs/dlgs and others experience. So far, i've found it is VERY possible to do. Now, you may not get the HUGE heights, but for a fly-anywhere, any-time craft, these can't be beat. Anyone have any other CLG (Cheaply Launched Glider) experience?
thelocust is offline Find More Posts by thelocust