View Single Post
Old Oct 08, 2004, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by sneu
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erez-E
As an engineer, I take offence to that comment. Just for my own edification, I want to see a breakdown of the material cost. I'm not considering molds, pump and whatever else you need to buy once.

So epoxy is what, about 9 lb/gallon? Let's say you've got a 20oz plane and a fiber fill ratio of 60%, so that's 8oz of epoxy. Let's say you waste a bit and use a 16 oz. That's .11 gallons. If the epoxy is about $80 a gallon, including hardner, that comes to $9 worth of epoxy, lets say $10 with shipping.

Wax is relatively free.

Ok, on to the graphite. 3k is about 6oz/yd^2. and about $22/yd^2. So carbon is about $4/oz. 60% of 20oz is 12 oz. soooo that's $48 worth of carbon. You would need say $12 worth of peel ply and breather.

So for an all carbon jobbie, your total cost would be $70, again assuming you have the mold (this is where the problem is), a pump (~$300 for a kit), AND assuming you buy in small quantity.
Not so fast--3 oz carbon costs more like $80-90 sq yd, Kevlar about $20 for the 1.7 oz sq yd nice stuff, high grade carbon tow for the spar caps $100lb, Epoxy that will give long enough working time yet set overnight $100 gallon, Roha Cell $40 for 24/48/.032 inch sheet---etc --etc--etc. The costs go on! Material costs are just the start--you have also to put into the mix the cost of the parts that don't come out of the mold in one piece too.

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu