View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2001, 12:58 AM
Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Pica 1/12 Corsair

FWIW: I've started on a Pica F4U and thought it worthwhile to mention it on this forum. This kit is totally interlocking, laser cut and of fairly good wood. The model seems to be quite good scale, the fuse has the proper shape, etc. Sheeting the fuse is a piece of cake, all the wood is sized to form to the compound curves and locks into place with tabs.

I will use an AF05G with 8x1000 cells, 2 servos(no rudder). The cowl is 5" diameter and needs a good sized prop like the 12-8 or 12-10. Covering will be Ultracoat white painted with Krylon deep blue. From my experience with other small warbirds, this should be a really nice flying plane. Tex.

Later: OTOH, having just wrestled with the wing construction, maybe these engineers didn't earn their pay after all! The basic idea of Pica's lock-together construction is still a good one, but in making the wing, the wood doesen't fit together the way it should. Too many angles were not taken into consideration when cutting the kit, hence much of the pre-glue assembly is "sledge hammer" fit and not easy to do. I did a major sanding of the allignment jig parts and came to a reasonable agreement with the balsa. In retrospect, I think that I would rather have built the wing without all the "engineering". T.

[This message has been edited by Sabrejock (edited 07-21-2001).]
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock