Old Oct 22, 2013, 09:38 AM
Find More Posts by KRProton
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
In my experience, 30C is actually a very high load for any lipoly battery and continued discharges at such rates will most assuredly cause undue heating and affect usable life expectancy. Your experience appears to be consistent with this.

Do you have access to an infrared thermometer? If so, I suggest that you monitor surface temperature of your packs after discharge. Any temperature above ~120F after discharge would give me concern as this means that internal temperature is much higner and will cause accelerated degradation.

The maximum recommended continuous current from the Lipoly Tool will produce less heating and will allow you to extract maximum longevity from your lipolys. Unfortunately, high performance race planes, EDFs, etc., will frequently exceed this. The net result is that lipolys will suffer and will need to be replaced sooner than desired.

Mark
That all sounds plausible to me and pretty much consistent with everything in these forums (but from what I've been reading, I thought 140F was the max. LiPo temp before damage). After a flight my LiPos come out nicely warm to the touch (not scientific I know, but based on my experience my LiPos aren't getting exceedingly hot) and never puffed. But yes, I do have an infrared thermometer.

I'm not going to change my drive to lower the load, so yes, maybe just have to cycle new batteries into the bunch more frequently. Next step would be interesting to get IR numbers off a brand new pack, or recently broken-in pack. On the other hand, my latest TP packs - only a dozen or so flights - have the highest resistance around 12 - 13 Ohms/cell.

Thanks Mark!

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member