View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 2004, 03:05 AM
Find More Posts by nachman
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Nov 2002
288 Posts
Graham
The machine is basically the Wabco 1200 German made milling machine. Through their dealler in my country I orderd it with some upgrades. The main motor is 2KW and turns the spindle from 0 to 7000 RPM. The table is 200 X 700 mm and can travel 250mm x 500mm ( vs 200 x 500 on a standard model ). It was orderd with ball screws installed, timming pullys, and manual hand wheels ( I wanted to be able using it manually as well). I also add a re-enforcing back plate to the vertical column for added ridgety. I retroffited the machine for CNC operation myself. The motors are 2NxM API brushless servo motor ( API compony was since taken over by another compony which no longer makes this motor ). The controller is made from JRKERR 3ph motion control & driver cards and the software a free example by JRKERR for making a 3 axis milling machine. The softwear has everything you could ever want in a prototyping machine. It also gives the option to free the motors and works manually ( and get x y z digital readings ). I'd recomand it to anyone. For a small machine such as Sherline and using brushed pitman servo motors you can get away with only 1000$ for the retrofit. I've spend about 4000$ on it becouse of the big motors I've used, and the wabco machine with all it's upgrades and a cooling system costs around 8000$. The program for generating G codes is Master Cam.
nachman is offline Find More Posts by nachman