View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2004, 09:20 PM
Find More Posts by FreeFlier
...still seeking PyrE
Long Island's North Shore
Joined Aug 2003
176 Posts
To answer some questions:
That - severely past tense - pack, as well as the 3-others purchased at the same time were never in a crash, and were always brought down before LVC - set at 8.3v; no visible damage was noticed. The charger had been checked 5-minutes before and the charge rate was still at 1.0A - always charge at less than 1C, the voltage was about 12.4, but fluctuating as it always does, and the pack was ever so slightly above ambient temp. but the significance of that did not register at the time; in retrospect, not good!
The water depth was about 10-inches, and I'm fairly sure the pack went to the bottom, but the cloudiness of the salt made it impossible to be completely sure.
Wish I could say that those items were at hand, but were gathered at light speed while the pack sat in the Pyrex tray - about 3-minutes, on the workbench - hardened Masonite top, and away from combustible material.

I surely would like to understand the precise reason why this pack puffed, but charging other packs tonight does not show any problem with the '109. The charging now is being done on the cement driveway however, and I suppose will stay that way for now.
Again, some hard lessons learned and others reiterated, but not considering going back.
Stew
FreeFlier is offline Find More Posts by FreeFlier