Old May 03, 2013, 04:02 PM
5th
Find More Posts by 5th
5th
Mediocre Pilot Extraordinaire
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2012
476 Posts
I'm wondering if I should be using a different hex file...

(I'll try to be concise)

I have some RedBrick 30A ESCs from HK. I wouldn't buy these now, but I have some I am still using. I flashed some of them back in December. I have a few unflashed ones. I recently burned one up (quad fell ~60 feet and cratered) so I needed to replace it (along with a motor and the frame). None of the extras I have had been flashed. From previous experience I knew I needed tp.hex, so I flashed one with that and put it into service.

For reference, here are pics of the PCB, just in case it's useful:
http://imageshack.us/a/img96/4661/frontolx.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img10/5636/backkpc.jpg

I now notice that the one I just flashed gets considerably hotter than the rest. At first I played with smaller props and new motors, assuming something was causing the ESC to work too hard. Since it was ESC #1 and the BEC was powering my KK2.0, I even put a separate ESC into service and connected #1 to the KK2.0 with signal wire only so that it would not be powering both the motor and the FC. Unfortunately, none of the changes had any effect. So then I decided it was time to try a new ESC. When I went to load up tp.hex in my burner software, I saw tp_8khz.hex and that got me thinking:

Could it be that these cheapo ESCs run hot with the standard tp.hex and I need to use tp_8khz.hex instead?

It is entirely possible that I actually flashed the rest with tp_8khz.hex and forgot. Is this a reasonable theory? Should I be concerned if some are using tp.hex and others tp_8khz.hex on the same MR? Does the frequency effect the heat output to this degree?

I can touch the other three ESCs and they are just warm. The problem child ESC is hot. Not so hot I can't keep my palm against it, but hot enough to really dislike doing so.

Oh gurus of SimonK, please help me.
5th is offline Find More Posts by 5th