Old Aug 02, 2004, 07:19 AM
Find More Posts by Muxje
You win again, gravity!
Rotterdam, NL
Joined Jun 2004
280 Posts
Someone from Wren issued a statement in RCUniverse:

Quote:
We have seen on RCUniverse references to a low-cost turbine being advertised by JoeJets. Having made some enquiries we have discovered that JoeJets has a link with one of our customers in the Far East who purchased a MW54 Mark 2 Turbine kit from us last year. We have studied the pictures on the JoeJets website and believe that the turbine, shaft, combustion chamber, diffuser, guide vane and shaft tunnel in the pictures are the ones we supplied in the kit.
It is unethical, and in most countries illegal, to pass off someone else's product as your own for the purpose of soliciting orders. In our opinion that is what JoeJets are doing.

We are not associated with JoeJets in any way whatsoever and will certainly not be supplying them with turbine wheels. We would like to remind jet pilots that all parts in turbine engines have to be made to extremely high standards in order that the engines can work efficiently and safely. Turbine wheels need to be made to exacting aerospace standards and subjected to rigorous inspection. A turbine disc failure is a life-threatening event and a serious incident could have repercussions for everyone involved with model jets.

Roger Parish
On behalf of the Directors, Wren Turbines Ltd.
Interesting if true... but as others point out on that forum, there's only so many ways to make a jet engine, and Wren's design is in turn based on an earlier one that many others have also used as the basis for their design. (AMT is an exception, apparently).

As for quality... I hope we'll be hearing some user reports soon! (If easytiger suddenly stops posting here, we'll know not to buy one, tee hee ). But I am fully convinced that it is theoretically possible at least to produce turbines this cheaply in China. Heh, I got an outstanding, feature-packed Chinese DVD player that cost less than the ink cartridge in my printer....
Muxje is offline Find More Posts by Muxje