View Single Post
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:45 PM
Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,414 Posts
Paul, my kit came from Great Hobbies here in Canada. They had reduced the kit price to $379.00 Can. to clear it out. I was fortunate to get one of the two kits they had.

As for power options, I am relatively new to this electrification game myself. Having flown a few kits now with batteries, I just can't see myself going back to gassers, although as a purist it is hard to beat the sounds and smells of IC engines. My E-Flite Beaver has a P-32 motor in it flying on 4 cell 3300 mah packs and the power is just astonishing. I realize with this Waco kit, it will be a substantial step up for me in the size and weight department, as I have never flown anything heavier than 6 lbs. I get what you are saying in relation to trying to maximize what you already have, it just makes sense both economically and familiarity wise. Do you already have the kit or are you still in the consideration stage?

Also, have you tried using E-Calc before? It will not provide all the answers regarding your potential set up, but at least it is a start. You can plug in a multitude of different battery and motor / prop combinations. The Scorpion motor I have in mind calculates out at close to a 1:1thrust to weight ratio with a 17" x 8" prop on 5 cells, a little bit higher on the 6 cell pack. I have a while to figure things out so I'm not going to rush it, and learn as much as I can before the build starts.

Rem
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder