Thread: Build Log Giant scale X-2 project!
View Single Post
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by X30PILOT
Joined Aug 2007
469 Posts
Hi Bob,

Thatís one great looking X-2 you built! I agree that was quite accomplishment making the completed model under 500 grams with the available R/C gear at that time. Iím sorry to hear it had an untimely demise.
One of the issues we had was trying to find good documentation. It seemed a little challenging as none of the X-2s survived. Some of the photos we saw did not concur with the 3 view drawings. You obviously did a great job on your documentation.
Unlike your beautiful exact scale model, the engineer helping me with this project and I have taken some liberties with the design to simplify construction, transport and flyability.
You can see from the CAD wing drawings that Mike Oser produced; the airfoil we selected is not scale. We also have one 3-inch motor mount on the centerline to simplify thrust issues. Unlike the full sized aircraft I am going to use elevators with a fixed stab. Getting a full flying tail working well on this model considering its size and speed looked problematic.
I did test using some up aileron for glide trim and this worked well. It also creates a little washout at the tip to help prevent tip stall issues.
Any input and documentation you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

X30
X30PILOT is online now Find More Posts by X30PILOT